Skip Navigation


Poison is a substance that through its chemical action can kill, injure, or impair an organism. Acute poisoning is exposure to a poison on one occasion or during a short period of time. Symptoms develop as a result of exposure or in close proximity to a substance. Poisonous materials can be found in a variety of household items as well as in laboratory reagents and chemicals.

Many poisons react differently to various treatments, so if you suspect a victim has been poisoned through ingestion, inhalation, or skin exposure:

  • Try to determine what the poisoning agent is.
  • Call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone).
  • Or call Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for specific first aid instructions.

Support Links