For additonal biography, search Handbook of Texas Online
Jonathan L. Lindley, 22, born 12 Feb 1814 in SangamonCo, IL was a surveyor for early Texas colonists and resident of Gonzales. He was a Private artilleryman in Capt. Careys artillery company of the Alamo garrison. He was the third child and oldest son of Samuel Washington Lindley (b. 1788 NC). Lindley is said to have come to the DeWitt Colony from IL in 1833. According to descendants, after the death of his first wife Mary (Polly) Elizabeth Hall abt 1809 shortly after the birth of first child Sarah, he married Elizabeth Whitley with whom he had his remaining children except Amanda. On 3 May 1835 single Jonathan was granted a quarter league of land in the William Pace survey in PolkCo, TX. He participated in the Battle of Bexar on 14 Dec 1835 after which he as many others returned home for Christmas hoping that the Revolution was over. Lindley joined Capt. Careys Company in the regular Texas Army in the fall of 1835. Lindley was at home in Gonzales when he joined the Gonzales Relief Force to return to his post at the Alamo. His heirs received 1280 acres bounty for service in PanolaCo, TX near Carthage. After the Battle of San Jacinto, the surviving Lindley family re-settled in MontgomeryCo, TX. In the Lindley Cemetery 5 miles north of Anderson in GrimesCo, TX is a historical marker honoring Jonathan L. Lindley.
Family records indicated that the Lindley clan originated in England and Ireland and the first family immigrated to America circa 1713 and settled in New Jersey [Some reports suggest the family migrated to Pennsylvania, the Carolinas, Indiana and then Illiniois-WLM]. By 1811 they had settled in Sangamon County, Illinois and from that time and place the records were authenticated. Samuel Washington Lindley born in 1788 in North Carolina married a woman named Elizabeth [Whitley] and while living in Illinois ten children were born to that union: Barsheba (March 5, 1811); Polly (1812); Jonathan (February 12, 1814); Elizabeth (March 24, 1815); William (September 29, 1817); Martha (July 30, 1821); Samuel W. Jr. (July 30,1823); Rachel (1827); John (1829); and James (March 13, 1831). Jonathan, the third child and eldest son of Samuel W. and Elizabeth, went to Texas with his family in 1833 to colonize land in the DeWitt Colony. As an unmarried man, on July 17, 1835 he was granted a one-fourth league of land (640 acres) as a headright in the William Pace Mexican League, originally titled May 3, 1835. Jonathan was a surveyor and spent most of his time surveying the land of other colonists. Jonathan was greatly influenced by the early leaders of Texas during the pre-Texas Revolution period. Jonathan was with Ben Milam when the Texans took San Antonio in December, 1835. Jonathan with many others left San Antonio before Christmas, 1835 and returned to their families, believing that the revolution was about over. Tradition stated that Jonathan was the true spirit that kindled the flame for freedom in the Lindley family. As evidenced by a document containing information given by his father, Jonathan joined the Texas Revolutionary forces in the fall of 1835. A document of the Republic of Texas signed May 14, 1839 by General Albert Sidney Johnston, Secretary of War, Republic of Texas, further gave evidence that Jonathan Lindley joined the army of Texas December 14, 1835 and served until his death at the Alamo March 6,1836. At Gonzales in late February, 1836 after calls for aid from Travis at the Alamo, Jonathan joined Captain Albert Martin's band of men who were later known as "The Immortal Thirty-Two Men from Gonzales." Jonathan Lindley, with the other defenders of the Alamo, was killed March 6, 1836. Following the independence of Texas, the grateful Republic of Texas posthumously awarded the heroes of the Alamo bounties of land. Under certificate #9132 dated May 14, 1839, Houston, Texas Jonathan Lindley was awarded 1280 acres of land situated in Panola County, ten and one-half miles south, twenty degrees west from Carthage, Texas. It was patented March 9, 1860. The lawful heirs of Jonathan Lindley, namely his parents and his brothers and sisters, since he was not married, fell heir to the 1280-acre bounty plus his original Mexican Grant of 640 acres in the William Pace Survey in Polk County. His father, Samuel Washington Lindley, was appointed administrator of the estate of Jonathan; as such he administered and divided the estate. After the battle of San Jacinto the Lindley family opted to re-settle in Montgomery County. In the Lindley Cemetery five miles north of Anderson, Grimes County was erected an historical marker honoring Jonathan Lindley as an Alamo hero. [The Lindley family was said to be close friends of Jesse Grimes, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence after whom Grimes County was named-WLM] Virginia Stewart Lindley Ford. (From The History of Gonzales County, Texas. Reprinted by permission of the Gonzales County Historical Commission).
Albert Martin, 28, born 6 Jan 1808 in Rhode Island, a resident of Gonzales and storeowner. He was the son of Joseph S. and Abbey B. Martin. He came to the DeWitt Colony in 1835 from Tennessee via New Orleans after his parents and older brothers, one of whom has been suggested to be Gonzales merchant and mill owner, Joseph M. Martin. He and his father are referred to in a letter of 18 Sep 1835 from Edward Gritten in San Antonio to political chief of the Brazos Wyley Martin concerning the "action between the Steamboat and the Mexican Schooner here on the 16th." Capt. Albert Martin was a leader in the confrontation in Gonzales over the Gonzales cannon in Sep 1835 and participated in the Battle of Bexar. Due to a minor injury, he was in Gonzales in Dec 1835 and returned to the Alamo sometime after that. On 23 Feb 1836, he served as emissary from the Alamo to meet with Mexican Gen. Almonte who rejected the suggestion that he meet Col. Travis in the Alamo for negotiations. On 24 Feb 1836, Col. Martin was the courier who carried Travis appeal to Texans and the world for aid and delivered it to Launcelot Smither. He joined the Gonzales relief force to the Alamo. His glowing, but erroneous in some details of the event and in some spellings, obituary of July 1836 in the "Manufacturers and Farmers Journal" and the New Orleans True American suggests that New Orleans claimed him as a more than passing resident:
In the Old North Burial Ground of Providence, Rhode Island there is a memorial that dates from 1858 or earlier that states "Albert Martin Fell at the Alamo, Texas, In Defense of his country March 6th, 1836, Aged 28 yrs & 2 mo's."
Jesse McCoy, 32, born 1804 in Gyrosburg, Tennessee, a resident of Gonzales and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. He was son of John and Martha Dunbar McCoy who were among the first settlers of the DeWitt Colony at Old Station on the Lavaca. Jesse McCoy arrived with his parents in the DeWitt Colony on 9 Mar 1827 from MO where he received one fourth league. His tract on which he paid his first installment "At Gonzales, this 4th of July 1835, we having been appointed by the Ayto of Gonzales as Commissioners of the State for collecting the State dues for lands under the 25 art of the law of the 24th of March, 1825 certify that we have been paid the sum of three Dollars and ninety cents and 5/6 in full of first installments in Jesse McCoy's Quarter of a league of land deeded to him by the Commissioner Jose Antonio Navarro. Thomas R. Miller Adam Zumwalt B. D. McClure" was on the east bank of the Guadalupe River south of Gonzales on the current Gonzales-DeWitt County border. The author's 3rd great grandparents David and Mary Ann Zumwalt Burket purchased a portion on the tract after their return in 1837 from the Run Away Scrape. Jesse McCoy's widow was named Kitty.
Jesse McCoy's father and family of four received a sitio of land next to Jesse McCoy's tract at the same time. Father John "Devil" or "Padre" McCoy as he was known by Indians and the Mexicans, respectively, was the head of the McCoy clan in TX and Indian fighter in LincolnCo, MO before coming to TX. John McCoy and members of the Zumwalt family served together in Daniel Boones Mounted Rangers in MO and directly under his son Capt. Nathan Boone in LincolnCo, MO. On 12 Apr 1834, Jesse McCoy requested "...to have his stock mark and Brand recorded which he says is as follows--Ear mark a swallow fork in each ear and an under bit in the left, and his brand the letters J and T joined which he declares to be his true mark and that he has no other." A claim presented to the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Texas in Dec 1837 by "Alamo widow" Kitty McCoy suggests that Jesse provided supplies to the young Texas Army: "...the first auditor is authorized to audit the claim of the widow Kitty McCoy as per vouchers of Byrd Lockhart and Colonel William H. Patton for beef and corn valued at three hundred and seventy dollars in military script." Joseph Rowe, Speaker of the House (signed); S.H. Everett, Pres. Pro Tem Senate (signed); Approved by Sam Houston (signed).
Thomas R. Miller, 40, born in Prince EdwardCo, VA (some records say TN) in 1796, a resident of Gonzales where he was a merchant, farmer and town clerk (sindico procurador). He was a Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. He was oldest of seven children of Armistead and Susannah Redd Miller of Prince EdwardCo, VA. He sold his holdings in VA (some records suggest Tennessee) and came to the DeWitt Colony as a single man in 1830 where he received one fourth league on the east bank of the Guadalupe in northern DeWittCo. He obtained additional properties in Gonzales town. His store and home were on block 3, lot 3 in the inner town facing Water Street south of the Fort. He also owned a large piece of land on the San Marcos River in the west outer town. In 1834, Town Council meetings were held in Millers house in Gonzales and he was a road surveyor for the town. He was sindico procurador of the Gonzales Ayuntamiento of 1834. On 3 to 14 Nov 1835, he was a member of the Texas Consultation, a group of Texan delegates to decide on the course of action in response to the Santa Anna dictatorship in 1835. Miller was among the Old Original Eighteen defenders of the Gonzales cannon. He married Sidney Gaston (1816-1838) on 11 Mar 1832, they had one child who died in infancy after which they separated on 22 Aug 1833. Sidney Gaston was the sister of John E. Gaston and at the time of the Alamo defeat the wife of John Kellogg. Both were also members of the Gonzales Rangers who went in relief of the Alamo. Miller was a supplier for the early Texas army:
In 1838 by petition of J.D. Clements, administrator of Miller's estate, the Board of Land Commissioners of GonzalesCo with signatories Clements, William A. Matthews and Adam Zumwalt, increased his headright of land to a full league which was due all single men who served in the Alamo. The additional properties were on Walnut Creek near Fredericksburg, TX, Bexar District. Miller's will of 10 Aug 1834 and the disposal of his properties in 1839 indicates that he acquired significant amounts of additional lands. His will describes a league at the junction of the San Marcos and Guadalupe Rivers which was on the original Jose Salina's tract that was purchased by the Hodges family in 1829 or 30.
Sept 1839 the estate of Thomas Miller was disposed by administrator J.D. Clements at the Gonzales Courthouse which included a half league above and adjoining the town of Seguin. Disposed at the same time was a half league on the west side of the San Marcos originally granted to Benjamin Fuqua in GuadalupeCo. On the 1839 Tax Rolls of GonzalesCo, J.D. Clements is listed as administrator of the estate of Thomas R. Miller.
Isaac Millsaps (also spelled Milsaps in some records), 41, was a resident of Gonzales and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. The record below from CockeCo, TN archives indicated that Isaac was a native of Tennessee and the son of Thomas and Bathsheba Millsaps.
The record indicates that Isaac Millsaps was a veteran of the War of 1812 having served in the East Tennessee Militia. Popular records concerning Isaac's background may be in error that say he was born in Mississippi and was the son of William and Rebecca Webster Millsaps who settled in Mississippi in 1810. William Millsaps was from South Carolina and the son of William Millsaps who was born in Ireland. It is likely that William was Isaac's uncle who moved from East Tennessee and Isaac lived with the family in MS prior to marriage and coming to Texas. According to tax rolls, William Millsaps owned 80 acres of land on Five Mile Creek in Raymond, MS in 1829 to 1833. Isaac and wife Mary Blackburn Millsaps arrived in Texas 10 Mar 1835. On 1 Feb 1836, he and fellow Alamo defender Andrew Kent were election judges for the "Precinct of Upper Lavaca," which was designated for the purpose of electing two delegates to the Texas Independence Convention which convened on 1 Mar at Washington-on-the-Brazos. Alamo defender William E. Summers was also among the eight voters. Andrew Kent and Isaac Millsaps were neighbors in Lavaca County. Mary Millsaps was blind. In the confusion following the Alamo defeat, she and their seven small children were left on the homestead on the lower Lavaca River as the area was evacuated and settlers took flight along with Houston's army toward East Texas on the Runaway Scrape. David Boyd Kent from the neighboring Andrew Kent family noted their absence and informed General Houston who sent a squad of men which found blind Mrs. Millsaps and the children hiding in the brush near their home.
The heirs of Isaac Millsaps received Bounty Warrant 9163 for 960 acres in VictoriaCo which was patented to heirs on 23 Aug 1852 "for his having fallen at the Alamo." Heirs also received Donation Certificate for 640 acres in HamiltonC on 16 Jul 1846 which was patented on 4 Feb 1847. Mary Millsaps and the children apparently returned to the area where on 9 May she filed an appeal for aid to the Republic of Texas:
Mary Millsaps was granted $100 and a pension of $200 a year for 10 years on 21 Nov 1838. Mary Millsaps had over 4000 acres in Jackson County on which she failed to pay taxes of $143.21. Despite her appeals for aid, her land was auctioned publicly and purchased by James A. Sylvester for $115. A last letter from Isaac Millsaps to his family when the Alamo was under siege is believed to be a forgery.
From Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas 1835-1888, pg. 497: NEGGIN, GEORGE (HEIRS) Received Bty Wnt 790 for 1920 acres from AG on 25 Mar 1851 for "his having fallen at the Alamo." 288 acres in Hopkins Cty were ptd to the heirs on 23 Mar 1875. Pat 99 Vol 15 Abst 715 GLO File Lamar Bty 133. Upon UB Wnt 29/390, two surveys, 149.6 acres and 151 acres in Hopkins Cty were ptd to the heirs on 25 Mar 1873. Pats 259-60 Vol 14 Absts 716-17 GLO File Nac Bty 653, and 121.16 acres in Hopkins Cty were ptd to them on 24 Sept 1889. Pat 466 Vol 16 Abst 1176 GLO File Lamar Bty 133, and 134.5 acres in Smith Cty were ptd to them on 25 June 1918. Pat 18 Vol 17 Abst 752 GLO File Nac Bty 653. Two surveys, 88 acres and 367 acres in Hopkins Cty were ptd to the heirs on 23 March 1875. Pats 100 and 101 Vol 15 GLO File Lamar Bty 133, but these Pats were canceled. Several other surveys on this wnt were made but not ptd. See GLO Files Nac Bty 427, 715, 717 and Rob Bty 1217.
William E. (F.) Summers, 24, born 1812 in TN, a resident of current LavacaCo south of current Hallettsville and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. Land grant records indicate he received a labor of land on 1 May 1835 (vol. 67, pg. 512) just south of the Andrew Kent league on the Lavaca River. Henry C.G. Summers received the league of land next and south of William's tract on the same date (vol. 67, pg. 600). On 26 Feb 1836, Summers and Isaac Millsaps, neighbors of Andrew Kent, came to the Kent home south of Hallettsville and the three departed for Gonzales. Summers, along with fellow Alamo defenders Kent and Millsaps, was among the eight voters in the "Precinct of Upper Lavaca," which was designated for the purpose of electing two delegates to the Texas Independence Convention which convened on 1 Mar at Washington-on-the-Brazos.
George W. Tumlinson, 22, born 1814 in MO, a resident of Gonzales and Private artilleryman in Capt. Careys Company. He was the son of James and Elizabeth Tumlinson. He joined the Texas artillery under Capt. Almeron Dickinson on 20 Sep 1835. He was in the Siege of Bexar, discharged and re-enlisted on 14 Dec 1835 into Capt. Careys Company. Tumlinson was at home in Gonzales when the Alamo was surrounded and joined the Gonzales relief force to return to his post.
Robert White, 30, born 1806, was considered a resident of Gonzales and was Captain of an infantry company in the Bexar Guards. He along with Capt. Almeron Dickinson and other members of the Alamo garrison considered themselves sufficiently established as residents of San Antonio de Bexar to petition the provisional government of Texas to elect two delegates to the Convention of 1 Mar 1836 in addition to the Bexar delegates Ruiz and Navarro. He was a Lieutenant in the Siege of Bexar and promoted to Captain 4 Feb 1836. It is unclear whether White was in the Alamo from the beginning of the siege or was at home in Gonzales and returned with the relief force.
Claiborne Wright, 26, born 1810 in NC, a resident of Gonzales and Private in the Gonzales Rangers. He was the son of James and Patsy Stigall Wright. He enlisted in the Texas army 10 Nov 1835, was in the Siege of Bexar and discharged on 13 Dec 1835.