For Biographies, Search Handbook of Texas Online
William Fishbaugh/Fitzbaugh/Fishbach/Fishbaigh was a rifleman in the Gonzales Ranging Company listed from AL on the Alamo Memorials. He was a member of Major Robert McAlpin ("Three-legged Willie") Williamson's Ranging Company while stationed in Gonzales and volunteered to join Travis' command on 24 Feb 1836. A William Fishbaugh was listed as a deserter as of 23 Nov 1834 from Co B, 3rd US Army Infantry. He was a frequent customer of Joseph Martin's store between 19 Mar and 1 Oct 1835. Items purchased on credit and for which his estate paid off with interest in 1841 from the ledgers of Joseph Martin give a glimpse into his lifestyle. In Mar for $11.75, he bought a pair of pantaloons, roundabout coat, shoes, shirt, hat, two handkerchiefs, suspenders and a pound of tobacco. Early April he bought shoes and a vest for $1.12 and early May another pound of tobacco, 2 pairs of shoes, socks, side combs and four scains of thread for $5.37. In early June he bought one fourth pound of tea and an ounce of "allows." On the same day he bought on another visit to the store 2 pairs stirrup leathers, a butcher knife, looking glass, 2 saddle rings, pair of stirrups for $4.25. He bought more thread on 1 Jul and on the 25th of Jul bought a pair of boots, 6 yards brown lining, 2 pairs pantaloons and 1 pound tobacco for $16.50. In apparent multiple visits through October, he bought three pounds more tobacco, borrowed $5.00 to pay off John McCoy, a pencil, bridle, three shirts, thread and needles, a blanket and more combs. Fishbaugh was a voter for the representative from Gonzales to the Consultation of 1835.
John Flanders/Flandres, 36, was born 1800 in NH (memorials say MA), arrived in Texas in 1832 and at one time a resident of the Austin Colony. He was a Private in the Gonzales Rangers. In 1839 his estate was certified to receive one third league in Harrisburg County on Carpenter's Bayou, a branch of Buffalo Bayou as bounty for service by the Republic of Texas, the tract was bought for $120 by a W.D.C. Harris of Houston from administrator of the Flanders estate, Allen Vince. In 1851, Flanders heirs received an additional 1920 acres of land "for having fallen with Travis in the Alamo."
Dolphin Ward Floyd, 32, born 6 Mar 1804 (some records say 1807) in NashCo NC, a farmer and resident of Gonzales, member of the Gonzales Rangers who came to the DeWitt Colony in 1832 or 1833 from Alabama. Floyd purchased lots 3 and 4 in block 16 of inner Gonzales town on St. Michael St. and four lots south of East Avenue in outer town east of Water St. on 24 Dec 1833. He was the son of Thomas Penuel and Mary Sarah Beckwith Floyd. He had a sister Sarah and brothers John, Penuel and Thomas B. in AL who had lost contact until a letter from Thomas B. reached Dolphin Floyd's remarried widow, Esther Berry House Floyd Clark in 1855. Floyd married widow Esther Berry House (1808-1870) in Gonzales on 26 Apr 1832. She was the daughter of one of the earliest residents of DeWitt Colony, Francis Berry (1760-1853) who came with a family of six from MO in 1825. They had children John W. Floyd and Elizabeth Whitfield Floyd (m. William Kilpatrick Hargis), the latter born on 16 Apr after Dolphin Floyds death while the family was fleeing east on the Runaway Scrape. Widow Esther Berry House Floyd later married Capt. John Clark of Kentucky in 1838 who was listed as agent for Dolphin Floyd and Isaac House, both deceased husbands of his wife Esther on the Gonzales Tax Rolls of 1838. Floyd County, Texas was named in honor of Dolphin Floyd.
Floyd's horse was commandeered to carry messages and requests for reinforcements from the Alamo on to San Felipe de Austin from Gonzales as indicated by the following filed by Floyd in the Alamo 2 Mar 1836:
This indicates the obligation was met. Archival records indicate that Floyd's widow Esther Berry House Floyd Clark as administratrix of his estate petioned for and received $2.93 backpay for his service in the Alamo in which he paid the ultimate price. A response to widow Esther Floyd's appeal in 1838 to the Board of Land Commissioners in Austin indicates that Floyd's full headright was granted
The field notes on the survey of the land were filed by Charles Lockhart, County Surveyor, in Gonzales 18 Aug 1838.
In 1855, twice-widowed and once abandoned Alamo widow Esther Berry House Floyd Clark received the letter below (unedited) from Dolphin Floyd's brother, Thomas B. Floyd in AL, describing his brother Dolphin Floyd before he went to TX:
Galba Fuqua, 16, was born in Alabama, a Gonzales resident and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. The Fuqua family are said to have originated with French immigrant William Fuqua (Farqua) (married Jane) to the American colony of Virginia as early as 1685. According to descendant Gerald Duvall, William Farqua came to America fleeing Catholic persecution, had a son Ralph Fuqua who had a son Joseph, the father of Silas, Benjamin and Ephraim Fuqua. Both Ralph and Joseph served in the American Revolution against the British. Galba Fuqua was the son of Silas and Sally Taney Fuqua. After wife Sallys death between 1825 and 1828, Silas went to Texas with his children where he died in 1834. A letter to Stephen F. Austin from Silas Fuqua of 28 Mar 1828 expressed satisfaction with Texas and inquired about assistance and information. Silas Fuquas land grant was on the east bank of the San Marcos River in current CaldwellCo on the GonzalesCo line. According to his land certificate, Silas Fuqua arrived in the DeWitt Colony with a family of 6 on 11 May 1830. Galba Fuquas single uncle Benjamin Fuqua also came to the DeWitt Colony in 1830 where he received a quarter sitio of land on the west bank of the San Marcos just north of the Silas Fuqua league. Ben Fuqua was purported to be a mechanic and mercantile business man who owned a structure called "Luna" in inner Gonzales town on his brother Silas Fuqua's town lots. It may have been a blacksmith or mercantile business although some have speculated that it might have been a Grog Shop alluded to by author Edwards in his 1836 Texas which he critically termed "the center of attraction for both young and old of the Texians". Benjamin Fuqua married Nancy King (they had a daughter Mary), older sister of William King, also a member of the Gonzales Relief force. Family legends say that both Galba and Benjamin Fuqua were treated like sons by John and Parmelia King after the death of Silas Fuqua and the marriage of Benjamin to Nancy King. Legend says that teenage Relief Force members John Gaston, Galba Fuqua and William King were all good friends as well as the three families. Susannah Dickerson, a survivor of the Alamo related that during the battle Galba Fuqua burst into the Alamo chapel where she was hiding and he tried to tell her something. Because both jaws were broken, she could not understand him before he rushed back to the battle.
John E. Garvin, probably born sometime between 1794 and 1806 in Abbeville, AbbevilleCo, South Carolina or ElbertCo, Georgia. He was a Gonzales resident and Private artilleryman in Capt. Careys Company. He received one fourth sitio on the Guadalupe River southeast of Gonzales as single settler in the DeWitt Colony arriving 20 Feb 1831. Dates on his land grant records including arrival in the colony coincide with those who arrived with the Tennessee-Texas Land Company which included colonists Mathew Caldwell, Silas and Spencer Morris, Michael Gillen and Almeron and Susannah Dickinson. Garvin enlisted in the artillery unit of Col. Neill in Bexar 14 Feb 1835. A series of promissory notes written while on duty in Bexar indicate that Gavin was conscientous about paying off obligations back home in Gonzales. A note to Byrd Lockhart of 1 Dec 1833, witnessed by Almeron Dickinson says:
Another which came due while the Alamo was under siege "On or after the first day of March next I promise to pay Jos. Kent Three gentle Cows and Calves and Two Heifer yearlings for value recd this 26th day of Sept 1835."
Two promissory notes were written from within the Alamo to comrades in the garrison or Bexar, the first witnessed by colleague in arms James L. Ewing
Garvin was at home in Gonzales when the Alamo was surrounded and he joined the relief force to return to his post. James Tumlinson petitioned for administration of his estate 26 Sep 1838 in Gonzales Probate Court.
According to Gonzales County probate records (Probate #38), Robert M. Garvin and Mrs. Ann M. Smith of Tuscaloosa, Alabama petitioned the Probate Court in Gonzales to deliver Garvin's estate to them as the only surviving heirs. They claimed to be his brother and sister. Judge DeWitt granted their petition in 1848. According to a subsequent request for "augmentation" of the land she was to receive as John E. Garvin's "sole surviving heir," she stated she was his sister and that she lived in Starkville, OktibbehaCo, Mississippi (Starkville is just across the state line from Tuscaloosa). According to Pioneers of Tuscaloosa County Prior to 1830, a Daniel and Jane Manley Garvin were residents of Tuscaloosa and the couple had four children: Robert M., John E., Nancy Ann and William. The 1800 Census for Abbeville, SC indicated that Daniel Garvin was married with two children and held 5 slaves. He was listed in the 1790 census as single. Robert M. was born in 1794. It is unclear whether John E. or Nancy Ann were the other of the two children born in Abbeville. If Nancy Ann was the second child then it is likely that John E. was born in ElbertCo, Georgia. Daniel Garvin participated in the Cherokee land lottery in 1805 in ElbertCo, Georgia across the state line from Abbeville, SC that required residence for 3 years. The family probably moved to ElbertCo between 1800 and 1802. Daniel Garvin is believed to have died in ElbertCo, GA and Jane remarried a man named William Dunlap in 1806 after which they moved to Tuscaloosa and may have participated in the Creek land lottery. William and Jane Dunlap had a child named William Dunlap, but Robert, John E. and Nancy Ann retained Garvin as their surname. From the research of Jim Garvin.
John E. Gaston, 17, born abt 1819 in KY, resident of Gonzales and Private in the Gonzales Rangers. He was the son of Rebecca Warfield Gaston (1796 WashingtonCo, PA-1846) and G.P.B. Gaston who were married in Lexington, KY in 1814. John Gastons stepfather was George Washington Davis (1797-1853) who married widow Rebecca 8 Oct 1820 in Cincinatti, OH. John Gaston was said to have served as lookout on the Guadalupe River for movement of the Mexican force under Lt. Francisco Casteneda who demanded delivery of the Gonzales cannon from the settlers. The family moved to TX from JeffersonCo, KY in 1831 and received a league of land on the east bank of the Guadalupe River north of Cuero in the DeWitt Colony. Johns stepfather, G.W. Davis was one of the original 18 in the Gonzales cannon confrontation, a delegate to the TX Consultation of 1835 and holder of multiple public service positions in Gonzales. John Gaston had two older sisters, Susan A. (abt 1815-1847) and Sidney (Sidna) (abt 1816-1837) and two stepbrothers, Eugene (1828-bef 1850) and G.W. Davis, Jr (1831-1888). After the breakup of her first marriage to Thomas Miller, Sidney married John Benjamin Kellogg Jr. Both also died in the Alamo. Legend says that teenager John Gaston was fond of his brother-in-law Kellogg and probably followed him to the Alamo for that reason. John Gaston is sometimes confused with the John Davis who also died in the Alamo since he may have used the Davis surname. On 5 Jan 1839, George W. Davis was named administrator of the estates of John Gaston and Benjamin Kellogg by the probate court of Gonzales. There is a TX Highway Historical marker in DeWittCo 7 mi north of Cuero on Hwy 183 honoring the George W. Davis family. George and Rebecca Davis are buried 1.8 mi west of the site.
James George was a resident of Gonzales and rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. According to Adina de Zavala in History & Legends of the Alamo & Other Missions in & Around San Antonio, James George was Sargent under Lieutenant George Kimble of the Gonzales Rangers as they left Gonzales in relief of the Alamo. According to some records James George was born in 1802 in VA and was the son of William and Elizabeth Bland George, descendants of Henry George, one of the founders of the Jamestown Colony of VA. The research of other descendants contend that James was not from the line of Henry George of Jamestown. It is thought that James George may have been born in Pennsylvania, but the exact site has not been located. James George's father was Robert George, thought to be an Irish immigrant in the period 1794-1796 who was naturalized in 1805 and died in 1806. He was at one time a resident of CumberlandCo, PA. James George's mother is thought to have been named Mary. He had an older sister named Jane, a younger one named Elizabeth and a younger brother named John. The 1800 census indicates he had five other older sisters. PA records indicate that James George, over age 14 and son of Robert George, deceased, was seeking a guardian. John Boden, believed to be an uncle, was appointed guardian. Two daughters of Robert George were assigned to John Jackson as guardian, believed to be their stepfather. After moving to GreeneCo, Ohio he bought several tracts of land and married Elizabeth Dearduff of Ohio or VA in 1821. He arrived in the DeWitt Colony 20 Feb 1830 according to his land grant title with wife and three children. Orphans of James George were listed as Mary Jane, Margaret, Rachel, Matilda and Henry, who was possibly named after a grandfather. Henry died at age 19.
According to some family historians, the George family of five came to Texas from Fayetteville, FayetteCo, Tennessee, but others contend there is no evidence that the Georges or Dearduffs were ever in Tennessee. One researcher suggested that George first made a trip to Texas in 1829 from Missouri and returned for his family after choosing the place on Plum Creek south of current Lockhart. The Georges and Almaron Dickinson families are thought to have come to TX together. They are said to have come via the Mississippi River then by land across Arkansas through Nacogdoches along the Trammell Trace. James George's league on Plum Creek in northern CaldwellCo borders the Byrd Lockhart league on which the town of Lockhart developed. With the help of brother-in-law William Dearduff, they build their first dog-trot cabin on the grant. George also owned lots in the west outer Gonzales town tract on the San Marcos River. On 10 Dec 1835 James George sold three pounds of powder, twelve pounds of lead and 1.75 bushels of peas to the provisional government of TX. He was paid $59 for for 14 days service with a wagon and two yokes of oxen and 2 ox bows furnished to San Antonio and La Bahia. It is thought that this indicates that the Gonzales cannon was utilized in the Battle of Bexar and at La Bahia and James George may have been there with it. A document signed by Col. Neill certified that the unit ordered one yoke of oxen and gearing for hauling the Gonzales cannon and the oxen are now crippled beyond use. Upon his departure for the Alamo, James George enjoined the aid of periodic hired hand John A. Rowe to look after the family's safety in his absence. After the Alamo defeat, his widow Elizabeth Dearduff George and children joined in the flight to the Sabine River (Runaway Scrape) with a cart containing some belongings and some cows. At one point the two younger girls, Mary and Rachel, fell from the cart and became mired in mud in the confusion and separated from their mother and sister Margaret who was tending the cows. Fortunately, accompanying settlers spotted them and returned them to their mother. Widow Elizabeth George returned to the devastated Plum Creek homestead and later married Fredrick Rowe who acted as agent of James George in the Gonzales Tax Rolls of 1838. Rowe petitioned the probate court of Gonzales on 25 Jun 1838 for administration of the estate of his wife's slain husband James George and brother William Dearduff. Notice was given in the Telegraph and Texas Register 7 Jul 1838. Known relatives were listed in the Austin City Gazette. (Updated and revised material on the background of James George and family as described above relative to the article below was provided by Joyce Speer Moore).
James and Elizabeth Dearduff George. James William George was born in Virginia in 1802, the descendant of Henry George, one of the settlers of the Jamestown Colony [see correction above]. He married in 1821 Elizabeth Dearduff of Ohio or Virginia. The Georges were Baptists and Masons. On February 20, 1830 James George arrived in Gonzales, Texas with his wife, Elizabeth Dearduff George, and children Mary Jane, Margaret and Rachel, all three born in Ohio. He was given one sitio of land on Plum Creek as one of the original settlers of DeWitt's Colony. In 1831 a son Henry was born and another daughter, Matilda, was born in 1834. On December 10, 1835 James George sold three pounds of powder, twelve pounds of lead, one and three-fourths bushels of peas to the provisional government of Texas, and " .rendered fourteen days service with waggon and two yokes of oxen and 2 ox bows furnished to San Antonio and La Bahia " for which he was paid $59.50 according to documents in the Texas State Archives. Another document stated "This is to certify that I demanded and received, unto the public service, for halling the Gonzales Cannon to San Antonio: one yoke of oxen and all necessary geering; belonging to James George and that said yoke of oxen is now so much cripled as to render it unfit for service. November 23, 1835, H. Neill, Capt." On February 24, 1836 James William George along with his brother in law William Dearduff joined Major Williamson's command as privates and left for the Alamo where they both died March 6, 1836. Elizabeth Dearduff George, widow of James George, married Frederick Rowe after George's death sometime before 1838 when she filed papers claiming land as his heir. While married to Rowe she had a daughter Elizabeth. Rowe was apparently drowned in Plum Creek while searching for cattle in 1840. On January 21, 1841 Elizabeth George Rowe married Thomas Hoskins. Mary Jane, oldest child of James and Elizabeth George, married John W. Craig May 27, 1839. Mary Jane was dead by 1850 as her mother Elizabeth Hoskins was listed in the 1850 Caldwell County, Texas census. Also in her household were Matilda George sixteen, Elizabeth Rowe eleven, Sara Ann Hoskins nine, John T. Hoskins five and Elizabeth Craig five months. In 1853 Charles Hood filed for guardianship of minors James, Mary Ann and Elizabeth Craig. In February, 1855 Robert Happ was appointed administrator for John W. Craig, deceased. Margaret, second child of James and Elizabeth George, married Simon Fraser September 20, 1844. In December, 1849 Simon was dead and Margaret was left a widow with Henry four and Elizabeth two in the 1850 census. She must have been pregnant at the time of his death as she had Simon in 1850. Margaret married Charles Hood after the death of Simon Fraser and had children Rachel (1852), Emily (1856) and Charles (1859). Charles Hood Sr. died in Atascosa County, Texas in 1861 leaving Margaret a widow again. In 1862 Margaret watched from across the river while an Indian killed her oldest son Henry Fraser. She hid in the brush while holding her hand over baby Charles' mouth to keep him from crying out. Henry was buried in the Devine, Texas Cemetery. Margaret later married Doctor Wilkerson, died in 1896 and was buried at Devine. Rachel, third child of James and Elizabeth George, married James Brown from Scotland. In 1850 they were living in Caldwell County with son Allen four months, Henry George, James Craig and Mary Ann Craig. She later moved to Atascosa County, Texas. Matilda, the fifth child of James and Elizabeth George, married Joseph Alexander May 20, 1852. They remained in Caldwell County and she was buried in the Dale, Texas Cemetery. Henry, the only son of James and Elizabeth George, died December 15, 1853 at the age of twenty-two. The cause of death was unknown or was it known whether he married. His mother, Elizabeth Dearduff George Rowe Hoskins, died in January, 1854. Thomas Hoskins was appointed the guardian of the Hoskins minors. J. Alexander was appointed guardian of Elizabeth Rowe, a minor daughter. Joyce Spear Moore. (From The History of Gonzales County, Texas. Reprinted by permission of the Gonzales County Historical Commission).
A memorial to Alamo Defender James George and widow Elizabeth Dearduff was dedicated at the Dale, CaldwellCo, TX cemetery on 4 Mar 2000.
Thomas J. Jackson was born in Ireland, a resident of Gonzales and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. DeWitt Colony land grant records show he entered the colony 6 Jul 1829 with a family of four and received a sitio of land. His league was southeast of Gonzales next to his father-in-law Jonathan Cottle's league on the west bank of the Guadalupe River. On 18 Sep 1830, he registered his mark and cattle brand in Gonzales witnessed by Gonzales District (San Felipe Ayuntamiento) Comisario James B. Patrick "....his ear mark a swallow fork in the right ear, and a half cross in the left ear and his brand the letter T and J united which he says is his true mark and brand and that he has no other." He was married to Louisa Cottle, sister of Alamo defender, George Washington Cottle. After Thomas Jacksons death in the Alamo, she married James B. Hinds. Jackson was also among the Old 18 who confronted the Mexicans at Gonzales over the Gonzales cannon. Brother-in-law Almond Cottle represented the heirs of Thomas Jackson on the Gonzales Tax Rolls of 1839.
John Benjamin Kellogg II, 19, born 1817 in KY and a resident of Gonzales. He was a Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. His father, John Benjamin Kellogg I (d. Oct 1836), received Lots 4 and 5, Block 10 in inner Gonzales town on 25 Sep 1834. In 1835 John B. Kellogg II married Sidney Gaston (1816-1836) in Gonzales, the former wife of Alamo defender Thomas R. Miller and sister of John E. Gaston who also died in the Alamo. Sidney Gaston was the daughter of Rebecca Warfield Gaston Davis and stepdaughter of George Washington Davis of Gonzales. Pregnant Sidney Gaston Kellogg is thought to have left Gonzales in the Run Away Scrape with her in-laws, John B. Kellogg I and family. She lived with them in WashingtonCo, TX where she died six months later. Six days after John Kellogg IIs death in the Alamo, they had a son, John B. Kellogg III. John B. III was raised by his grandmother, Ms. John B. Kellogg I until she died in Jan 1838 at which time stepgrandfather, George Washington Davis, was named guardian. On 5 Jan 1839, George W. Davis was named administrator of the estates of his stepson, John Gaston, and Benjamin Kellogg by the probate court of Gonzales. In the 1850 census of DeWittCo, TX, 13 year old John B. III was living with the George W. Davis family. Grandmother Rebecca died when John B. III was ten and stepgrandfather G.W. Davis died when he was 17. Author Tom Lindley in Alamo Traces: New Evidence and New Conclusions contends that Alamo Defender Johnny Kellogg died at Harrisburg in 1836 months after the Alamo battle. This may be John Benjamin Kellogg II's father of the same name who may have died at that time.
Andrew Kent, 44, born 1791 in MadisonCo, VA came to the DeWitt Colony in 1830 with wife Elizabeth Zumwalt and 8 children. He settled on his league of land on the lower Lavaca River in current LavacaCo south of Hallettsville. The fourth greatgranduncle of the author (WLM), his story is told in detail in Andrew Kent (1791-1836) Alamo Defender Gonzales Relief Force. Kent County in west TX was named in his honor.
George C. Kimble (Kimbell, Kimball), 33, born 1803 (some records say abt 1810) in PA, a resident of Gonzales and Lieutenant and a commanding officer of the Gonzales Rangers. He came to the DeWitt Colony in 1825 from NY where as a single man he received one fourth sitio of land which was on the east bank of the San Marcos River in CaldwellCo. He owned a hat factory on Water Street south of the Fort in inner Gonzales town together with Almeron Dickerson. On 26 Jun 1832, he married widow Prudence Nash. They had a son Charles Chester (b. 1834) (photo below from Alamo Legacy by Ron Jackson, original from Linda Halliburton, Luling, TX, 4th greatgranddaughter of George C. Kimble) and twin girls Jane and Amanda born in June after the death of their father in the Alamo. Twice widowed, Prudence Nash Kimble also had three children from her first marriage. Family legend says that the Kimbles lived on property in Gonzales town owned by Prudence's former husband Nash who had died from an accidental shooting in Gonzales. According to family historians, pregnant Prudence was washing clothes in icy creek water with 2-year old Charles Chester nearby when husband George announced the plans of the Gonzales Rangers to answer Travis appeal for aid to the surrounded Alamo garrison in San Antonio. Among them were business partner Almeron Dickinson and his wife and child. His parting words indicated that he felt he probably would not return.
On 27 Feb 1836, he signed a document:
"Rec'd Gonzales 27th Feb. 1836 of Stephen Smith 52 lbs Coffee Being for the use of the men that has volunteered to go to Bexar to the Releaf of our Boys." G.C. Kim (signed).
An additional affidavit of 1837 verified the signature:
"This is to certify that the above is the signature of George C. Kimball he was in the habit of abbreviating his signature."
Signed by Jno. Fisher, William J. Fisher, Charles Mason and G.W. Bull in Houston 29 Apr 1837. Along with Capt. Albert Martin and John W. Smith, members of the Alamo garrison on leave in Gonzales, Lt. Kimble led the Gonzales Rangers to San Antonio de Bexar and through surrounding Mexican lines into the Alamo on 1 Mar 1836. Kimble County in southwest TX was named in honor of George Kimble's service to Texas. Charles Chester Kimble (b. 1834) (left) was two years old when his father departed Gonzales in relief of the besieged Alamo. Alamo widow and mother of six, Prudence Nash Kimble fled with George Jr. and the other children from Gonzales east to Louisiana in the Runaway Scrape. She returned to their devasted home in Gonzales in 1837. Kimble descendants say that Charles, who was six foot two inches tall and weighed over 200 pounds, closely resembled his father who was even larger in stature. Sometime after 1847, Prudence Kimble married widower Claiborne West, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. They lived in GuadalupeCo in 1850 with assets of $3000 and nine slaves. Prudence Nash Kimble West died abt 1861 after which Claiborne West married the widow of George W. Day, Florinda McCulloch Day. West died in 1866.
From the Audited Claims Archives of the Republic of Texas is the following certificate:
The above is a printed certificate with the entries noted in bold italics.
Bounty and donation land grant records of Texas indicate that heirs of "George C. Kimbill" heirs received warrant 4480 for 1920 acres on 1 Dec 1838 for his service from 24 Feb to 6 Mar 1836 and having been killed in the Alamo. The land in KimbleCo was patented on 1 Jun 1846 (Pat 66 Vol. 2 Abst 375 GLO File Bexar Bty 191). Heirs of "George C. Kimbell" also received donation certificate 644 for 640 acres in KimbleCo which was patented 13 Jul 1846. (Pat 5 vol 2 abst 374 GLO file Bexar don 190).
William Phillip King, 16, born 8 Oct 1819, a resident of Gonzales and Private rifleman in the Gonzales Rangers. He was the son of John Gladden King (1790-1856) and Parmelia (Milly) Parchman who married abt 1818 in GilesCo, TN. John King received a league of land arriving on 15 May 1830 with a family of nine. His league was on the east bank of the Guadalupe River in GuadalupeCo northwest of Gonzales and southeast of Seguin. His neighbors were the Sowells on the northwest and Umphries Branch on the southeast. Col. John G. King contributed to the early Texas cattle industry and after the Alamo he moved the family to MontgomeryCo. He was a friend of local Indians in the area and highly regarded among particularly the Lipans and Tonkawas. John G. King is also listed in the Gonzales relief force in older records. Son William King is said to have joined the force so that his father could look after the family, some of which were ill, during the emergent crisis. According to Lords A Time To Stand, young William King approached the Gonzales relief force among which was his father John King as they passed by the King place north of Gonzales on the way to San Antonio. After some emotional discussion, father John agreed to allow son William to take his place in the force to which Capt. Kimble agreed. Father John King remained with the family on the homeplace. William King was the youngest member of the Alamo defenders. King County on the lower plains of west TX was named in his honor.
From the Audited Claims Archives of the Republic of Texas is the following certificate:
The above was a printed certificate with the entries shown in bold italics. Bracketed areas were crossed out, note that the unit was at first noted as that of Lt. Kimble, then stricken and replaced with Major Williamson's command.
In 1858, the Seguin Mercury reported the eloquent speech of State Senator Henry E. McCulloch: "From an eloquent speech of our State Senator, Captain H. E. McCulloch, delivered in the Senate the 22nd of July last, on the bill for the purchase of the Alamo monument, we make the following extract:
Next page--Gonzales Rangers L-Z